Senior Mechanical Engineer - Aviation & Federal (Oak Ridge)
Company: Burns & McDonnell
Location: Oak Ridge
Posted on: January 15, 2022
DescriptionThe Senior Mechanical Engineer will lead mechanical
design project teams in Oak Ridge, TN to create world-class designs
for new projects, alterations and redevelopments on a variety of
equipment and infrastructure projects that will primarily support
the local DOE complexes (e.g. ORNL and Y-12).Other projects may
include municipal, power, process, corporate, healthcare, pipeline,
airports, institutional, industrial, manufacturing, and military
facilities. The Senior Mechanical Engineer will lead the project
technical team throughout the design and construction process,
adapting mechanical plans according to budget constraints, design
factors or client needs. They will serve as a liaison for
coordinating, managing, and executing project work across all ANF
offices through direct communication with corresponding Section
Managers. It is anticipated that they will have direct contact with
our local clients in managing discipline specific work under Basic
Ordering Agreements (BOA's) and large Federal budget line-item
projects.Lead mechanical design of projects from the conceptual
phase through design completion for project needs and requirements
that are set forth by the project managers.
- Prepare mechanical equipment: packaged equipment specifications
and data sheets, Request for Qualifications (RFQ's), technical bid
summaries, and purchase recommendations.
- Review mechanical equipment vendor drawings; data interface
with suppliers, clients other engineering disciplines, detailers,
- Participate in development of project schedule, scope, budget
staffing planning and construction planning. Responsible for
effective management of change orders.
- Applies expert knowledge of commonly used mechanical concepts,
practices, codes and procedures within the mechanical engineering
- Applies knowledge and experience to complex projects, find
non-standard design solutions.
- Quality review production drawings for a variety of projects
and project related data as required by the project managers to
verify corrections are made within multiple CAD related
- Quality review the construction administration including
coordination with field personnel to resolve design related
installation issues, calculations, field inspections and testing of
- Leads field inspections, installation, measurements or
calculations for public and private clients.
- Prepare and present technical reports for clients and industry
- Build effective relationships with existing clients, customers
and contractors and develop new business opportunities. Responsible
for ensuring customer satisfaction goals and expectations are
- Participate sales and marketing efforts and identify key
- Lead the development of cost proposals and qualification
statements to achieve stated targets and standards for financial
- Prepare and present project budgets and cost estimates. Report
- Provide leadership, guidance and instruction to the mechanical
engineering practice. Mentor and guide less experienced
- Responsible for QA/QC process adherence.
- Responsible for effective communication with other engineering
- Responsible for compliance with company and site safety
- All other duties as assigned.Qualifications
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or related degree
from an ABET accredited program.
- Or Bachelor of Science in Mechanical or related Engineering
Technology from an ABET accredited program and successful
completion of Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam.
- Master of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering a plus.
- 7 years mechanical engineering experience. DOE and EPC project
- Professional Engineering License (PE) preferred.
- Expert knowledge in standard engineering techniques and
procedures. Strong knowledge of mechanical equipment design codes
(ASME, ANSI, API, PIP, NACE). Strong computer skills (e.g.
Microsoft Office Suite).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with leading the discipline design for large
projects and delegating work tasks to team members. Ability to lead
execution of work and resolve issues in a team environment.
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills, ability to work
methodically and analytically in a quantitative problem-solving
- Strong attention to detail, facilitation, team building,
collaboration, organization and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to perform quality reviews for detailed engineering
documents and specifications.
- Ability to travel.EEO/Minorities/Females/Disabled/VeteransJob
Mechanical EngineeringPrimary Location US-TN-Oak RidgeSchedule:
Full-timeTravel: Yes, 25 % of the TimeReq ID: 212182\#LI-KZ
Keywords: Burns & McDonnell, Knoxville , Senior Mechanical Engineer - Aviation & Federal (Oak Ridge), Engineering , Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!