Network Specialist - OSP Engineering
Company: TDS Telecom
Posted on: June 24, 2022
Overview:In the Network Specialist - OSP Engineering role, you
are expected to assist in the creation and interpretation of fiber
optic, CATV, and copper/DSL OSP Design maps using Auto Cad, Lode
Data and GIS based mapping software. You will have to understand,
interpret, and track progress for numerous projects concurrently in
the given market area. In this position, you will continually
monitor design costs of completed project to help improve future
project costing.You will be responsible to lead small group cross
functional meetings and drive strategic growth in specific
brownfield markets across the given market area. In addition, you
will also be required to interact with contract consultants to
facilitate and monitor OSP design.In this position, you will be
responsible for supporting the Right of Way (ROW) Team while they
work with various governmental agencies to protect the TDS OSP
network from being jeopardized by permitting requirements or
proposed road improvements. You may be required to support TDS
teams in negotiating with municipalities, other utility companies
from a network and a legal perspective for the purchase, lease
and/or sale of inner ducts, fiber and/or complete networks.You will
work closely with our sales organization as well as Field Services.
It will also work closely with our Right of Way (ROW) team on
Easement and Pole Attachments (Make-Ready Processes) and will
interact with members of Net Ops Compliance.
This position can be hired at either a Network Specialist or
Network Specialist I level depending on the skills and
qualifications of the candidate. Different job postings exist for
each of these positions. Please reference each job posting for the
minimum qualifications required for each role.
TDS Telecommunications LLC (TDS Telecom/TDS -) delivers high-speed
internet, TV entertainment, and phone services to more than 1,000
rural, suburban, and metropolitan communities across the U.S. With
1.2 million connections, TDS is a rapidly growing technology
company. Powered by fiber-optics and new industry-leading
technologies, TDS delivers up to 2 Gigabit internet speeds and
offers internet-protocol based TV entertainment solutions along
with traditional phone services. TDS also offers businesses VoIP
advanced communications solutions, dedicated internet service, data
networking, and hosted-managed services. Visit
- Effectively communicate with Project Managers and adjacent
teams in order to facilitate cost-effective construction of OSP
facilities under advanced timelines.
- Responsible for the design of OSP projects and/or supervision
of consultants who are responsible for coordinating outside plant
design in multiple locations and/or states.
- Creating labor, material, and overheads project cost
- Provide Engineering support for Sales teams by fulfilling OSP
facilities verification requests, and high level OSP design costing
- Provide technical and strategic input in evaluating high level
- Review all OSP designed projects to ensure field services
requested plan of action, ISP and OSP solution are aligned and
- Verify that all documentation required to complete project
handoffs, including as-staked design, contractor Cost estimates,
Unit pull sheet, purchase order requests, ROW maps, PRC and WBS
funding is complete.
- Create and perform analysis on network designs for the OSP
teams to utilize for future project cost modeling.
- Partner with Regional Field Services and OSP Construction
(OSPC) members on engineering of network builds.
- Assist in training OSPE team members on OSP design and project
- Provide timely updates to the CAA Log regarding project costs
- Provide audits of OSP projects and coach consultants and/or
contractors to ensure accuracy and consistency. The audits will
ensure compliance with National Electrical Code standards and
current TDS OSP standards.Qualifications:Required Qualifications:
- Associate degree (or higher) -OR- 2+ years professional work
- 2+ years experience in Voice/Data/Video networking -OR- 6+
months TDS Telecom technical internship experience.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver's license, reliable
transportation and insurance.Other Qualifications:
- Experience in the construction and design of fiber optic,
CATV/coax and copper/DSL networks Auto Cad and Lode Data
- Joint Attachment Process/Power CO Make Ready Process experience
- GPON/PON engineering experience a plus
- Brownfield fiber overbuild a plus
- Excellent leadership, customer relations and communications
skills across teams a plus
- Thorough Understanding of Telecommunications and CATV industry
- Ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- PC database, spreadsheet and word processing skills are
- Advanced working knowledge of NESC construction practices and
- Ability to work in a cooperative and courteous manner with
diverse work groups.
- GIS experience, Engineering within GIS program a plus
(AGOL)BenefitsAs a part of your total compensation, #TDS provides a
comprehensive, competitive benefit package. This benefit plan
addresses both the immediate and long-term needs that you and your
family may have. For an overview of what we have to offer for
full-time employees including vacation, health benefits, and
retirement options, please click here.
At TDS, we embrace Equal Employment Opportunity by valuing our
differences and consider all qualified applicants without regard to
race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected
veteran or any other status protected by law. To learn about our
diversity & inclusion philosophy and culture, click here!
Keywords: TDS Telecom, Knoxville , Network Specialist - OSP Engineering, Engineering , Knoxville, Tennessee
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!